As younger CEOs replace older ones, news consumption habits
change and social media continues its trend towards ubiquity.
What will our companies look like tomorrow?
How will future CEOs reflect today’s younger more social culture?
The following summarizes key points of Mashable’s great post on how future CEOs will use social media.
Can Today’s CEO be Social?
What’s the big deal? This is simply another medium for me to
listen to my customers, and talk to my customers.
— Bill Marriott, Chairman, CEO of Marriott Int’l, talking about blogging
- Most of today’s CEOs are not social.
- None of the CEOs of Fortune Magazine’s top 100 global corporations have a social profile
- CEOs fear the risk of litigation
- CEOs say they don’t have the time to be on social networks
Social Media combines huge scale (tons of people talking)
with massive granularity (ability to dig deep into one response).
– Seth Priebatsc, CEO (21y/o) SCVNGR
Seeing Social Media as an Opportunity
Transparency and authenticity are two important factors in our work
and social media allows us to amplify both in a significant way.
– LIVESTRONG CEO, Doug Ulman
CEOs considering using social media – Forrester’s CEO, George Colony.
- Target the right audience
- Define a clear reason to be social
- Set up social expectations
- Choose the right platform(s).
Embrace the Third Way
CEOs will lower internal organizational barriers so that it can engage the public at every level directly in achieving shared outcomes.
Recruiting and Scouting
CEOs will scout out the competition and search for potential acquires via social media properties.
Social Measurement and Monitoring
In the future, every CEO will have a social media dashboard.
Does your CEO use social media? Tell us here.
9 CEO / Top Exec Blogs to Know
Craig Newmark, CEO Craigslist
Bill Marriott, CEO Marriott Int’l
George F. Colony, CEO of Forrester Research
Richard Edelman, CEO Edelman PR
Guy Kawasaki, Managing Director Garage Tech Ventures
Ev Willliams, CEO Twitter
Tony Hsieh, CEO Zappos
Mark Cuban, Owner Dallas Mavericks / Chairman HDnet
Jonathan Schwartz, CEO, Sun Microsystems
Read the full Mashable post here.
- How CEOs Will Use Social Media in the Future (mashable.com)
- 25 CEO Blogs Every Biz Student Should Read (accountingdegree.com)
- Social Media “Lite” for CEOs (customerthink.com)
- 15 Excellent Corporate Blogs to Learn From (mashable.com)
- Podcast: Craig Newmark, Founder of Craigslist Talks Customer Service (customerthink.com)
- New Digg CEO Must Grab the Reins and Go (gigaom.com)
- Three Steps to Make Your CEO Look More Personable with Social Media (livingstonbuzz.com)